Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Learning from the dry times--and an offering of thanks

I wasn't kidding when I wrote and said that grief is paralyzing to creativity. I've had almost no desire to write for the past week. Writing what little I did last week and the sermon on Sunday was purely God, because I certainly didn't want to do it. I'm still a little hesitant, but I cleared some clutter out of my office and home and I feel the effects of being mentally "defragmented (I can't believe I used a Windows term)". I have my possessions and ideas going in good directions.

It's important to learn from the dry times as well as the abundant times. "Blessed are the poor in Spirit," said someone who loves me.

Sometimes meaning doesn't come to those who grieve or suffer, but I learned that I can still offer encouragement to someone else, even when I am grieving. Yesterday I received a reply from the Humane Society in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, where we sent a memorial for Hunter:

"...thank you so much for your beautiful tribute to Hunter - reminds us why we do what we do here, and that it is worthwhile, even when the odds don't look favorable!  WE are thankful to you for giving Hunter a wonderful life - your family is in our thoughts."

Thanks to all of you who reached out to me during a dry and sad time. When I look back over the past several weeks, it really was more like winter. Life was merely cold and buried. Life still may feel cold, but I know life is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment