Thursday, September 24, 2009

Connections are challenging, how does FLCC reach new people to Port Orchard?

Yesterday and today, my daughter Ashling has been ill. Melanie and I scrambled to arrange our schedules to arrange child care. These are the little things that can be taken for granted--we had a definite pattern while we lived in Sioux Falls. Usually one of us could easily stay home from work, especially with Melanie's congregation about 3 blocks away from our home. We had a tried and true contingency plan that worked well.

Three weeks into serving full-time in a new area, the contingency plan was tested.  Melanie and I are traveling 25 minutes plus in differing directions, Kendall attends school for the full day, and Ashling comes with me to Port Orchard 3 days per week. I stayed home in the morning, my aunt was able to come over and sit with Ashling while I attended my meeting at the Synod Office, and Melanie will stay home with the girls tonight while I attend another meeting. It worked out today, mostly because my aunt was available. I am thankful that we now live in a place where we have family helping us, but in Sioux Falls, we didn't have that.

Think of all the people in Port Orchard who don't have family support nearby. How can FLCC reach out to them? Our society today is both hyper-connected and disconnected simultaneously, and the disconnected life calls for community that bears Christ's face. How is that happening at FLCC? How CAN it happen at FLCC? God is with you in your thoughts. I look forward to your responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment