Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fridays off

One challenging point for any person who works inside or outside the home is finding time apart for rest and recreation. Sabbath is a dying practice where the people of God stop working in remembrance of God taking a day off after 6 days of creation. Sabbath does not mean going to church, sabbath means ceasing work for approximately 24 hours. Friday is my day of Sabbath, as I happen to work most Sundays.

Sabbath is an important practice for Israel, though in an age of 24-hour news cycles and hyperactive commerce, rest is lost and thought of as weak. For all of the public and Church discourse about what the Bible says, Sabbath is an antique--quaint and not actually practiced. But with the frequency it is mentioned in both Old and New Testaments, I think Christians have some misplaced priorities.

I have to admit, it's fun for me to write, especially on a blog, but I will do my best to keep my Fridays Your Average Pastor (YAP) blog free. 

Enjoy your Friday, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment